William E. Wynne Sr. 1925-2017

blog061613a

Above, my father’s official USN photo circa 1975. He was from a generation of men who’s love of country and family were strong enough to never need the acknowledgement of others, far less praise nor reward. They were motivated solely by belief and love.

Do not feel sorrow for my father, for he had a long life, conducted with complete fidelity to the ideals of this country and his family. Since swearing in to the U.S. Navy on 3 July 1943, he never faltered from his Moral Purpose, to play a role in securing a Free World, and live in this world with his family.

Do not feel sorrow for my family, For my Mother had the unwavering love and support of a husband of 67 years. My father was sterling example of fatherhood, a gift I appreciated more with each year. The children in our family have always understood our unspeakably good fortune to have been born to our parents, a blessing beyond the possibility of overstatement.

If there is anything to be somber over let it be this: Decency, courage and sacrifice to a greater purpose than self, the values of the generation of men who provided the world we live in, have tragically fallen from the common currency of men, to something considered rare and perhaps antiquated.  My father and men of his times understood an example of an honorable and decent life, bequeathed far greater riches than lives that worshiped lesser purposes. Shipmates of my father, even ones who gave their lives very young, had lives of meaning because they considered it their privilege to have served a cause greater than self.

-wewjr.

59 Responses to William E. Wynne Sr. 1925-2017

1. Dan Branstrom says:

May your father rest in peace. I hope that your mother is doing well. My condolences to all of your family and all of the people who his life touched.

2. Chuck Callahan says:

My condolences William, to you and all your family. Your father was obviously a great man and I am sure he will be dearly missed.

3. george j sikes says:

You are truly Blessed William–!

4. feregas says:

My condolences to you Mr. Wynne and all your family!

5. Bob 'early builder' Dewenter says:

William, my families condolences to you and to your family.

6. Gary Wilson says:

I am sorry for your loss; and we all will remember him.

7. Patrick Hoyt says:

Thank you for sharing your father with us, William. He is a great role model, and he has touched us all.

8. Blaine Schwartz says:

You were truly blessed to have such a great man for a father. My prayers are with you and your family in celebration of your Father’s life. He was one of the last great generation!

Blaine Schwartz

9. Dave Griggs says:

Our condolences to your family. I have enjoyed reading about your father over the years.

10. Scott Thatcher says:

Our sincerest condolences to you and your family.

11. John & Susanne Niemeyer says:

John & Susanne Niemeyer

Our condolences to you and your family. Our prayers are with you all.

12. Robin Oldfield says:

William:
    I thank God for your father’s life and the undoubted positive effect he had on the many lives he touched. May the Lord grant you, your family, and his friends the Peace that passes all understanding during this time.
    Robin Oldfield

13. Jim Tomaszewski says:

William & family

Our heartfelt prayers go out to you and your family. Your father is a true American hero!

Jim & Ginger Tomaszewski

14. Harold Bickford says:

Very well said. Condolences of course for you and your family while remembering a life well served and lived is the greater consolation.

Harold and Edi

15. Phil Davis says:

What a blessing your dad was to you, obviously. He will be missed by all of us in the Corvair community as he was a big factor in how you tick! Prayers coming from your protege in Temple, Texas to you and your family.

16. Vic Delgado says:

William, You are a blessed man for having such a great role model as your father, and even more fortunate to have recognized the value and importance of the lessons he taught you throughout life. Those lessons do not stop with his passing and you will continue to learn, recognize and remember more through life. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time, as you celebrate the wonderful man that he is.

17. Shupert, Timothy says:

Thank you for keeping us all informed on you Father.
    Best wishes to all and God Bless.

Tim Shupert
    Eau Claire, Wi

Office: 715.834.3161 • Direct: 715.831.7642

ShupertT@AyresAssociates.com

18. Ray Klein says:

William, may peace find you and your family at this time. You have shared your memories openly with us so that we could know who your father was and what it means to be steadfast in belief and character. Thank you for this.

19. Joe Pringle says:

You have a lot to be proud of. The values and integrity that you learned from this man have served you well. Condolences to you and your family.

20. Terry Hand says:

One of my regrets in life is not having had the privilege of meeting your father. Yet I feel that I know him through your thoughtful writings. He is, in my book, a true American hero. We are losing more and more people like your dad every day. And we as a people and a nation are the lesser for it.

21. Mike maury says:

William, my sincerest condolences at the passing of your father. Please be comforted in the fact that he had a rich and Wonderful Life. Mike Maury.

22. Howard Horner says:

Thanks for sharing William. Our thoughts and prayers are added to the chorus. It is never easy,. I am sad for our nation at the loss, but am grateful you have shared his deeds and character with us.

23. Bruce Culver says:

Thank you sharing the stories of your father and your family through the years. They have been a source of inspiration and appreciation for what his generation accomplished. As for the loss of many of those attributes in current times, I am reminded of what Ben Franklin said at the end of the Constitutional Convention when a woman asked him what kind of government the people had been given: “A republic, madam, if you can keep it.”…..

24. Guy Bowen says:

Our condolences and Prayers for you and your family.

25. Gary Ray says:

I just got back from visiting my father on his 90th birthday. From what you have shared, I suspect that I was raised by parents that were from similar stock. I know what it is to have this much respect for his generation. My condolences.

A right on announcement the way the man would have wanted it according to the story you’ve shared about him. Celebrate, honor, and generate echoes of his best qualities.

27. Paul Visk says:

My condolences to you and your family William. Though the years with what I’ve learned about your father for you. I am vary honored to have served in the same military as him.

Paul Visk

28. Oscar Petree says:

I am so sorry for your loss.

29. Jon Ross says:

William I am sorry for your loss. You are indeed fortunate to have had a father such as yours; and I’ll hazard a guess that nothing has been left unsaid between you. I am in the same club, however I continue to experience the pleasure of having my father (at 88) regularly visit my shop (as I build airplanes) and often meet me for lunch or dinner. I know the day will come when I no longer will have my father in my life and when the time does come I will be left with the same conclusions that you have arrived at.

30. michael mckosky says:

My condolences to you, Mr. Wynne, and all your family!

31. Bruce Archer says:

Very sorry for your loss William and Grace…Bruce and Carol Archer

32. Scott Sutton says:

In some sort of way many of us felt as if we knew your father because of all the stories you have shared about his service over the years. He was truly a rare gift given to our country. You have all the right to be proud of him as I know that you are. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Scott Sutton

33. John Schmitz says:

My condolences to you Mr. Wynne. Sorry for your loss.

34. Alan Lansing says:

So Sorry for your loss

35. Chris says:

William, I am very sorry to hear about your father. Please accept my most sincere condolences, I will be thinking of you,

36. ccsmith51 says:

William, I am very sorry to hear of your father. Please accept my most sincere condolences. I will be thinking of you.

37. Jeff Moores says:

Very sorry for your loss, William.

Jeff and Dale

38. ellen griffith says:

Well stated and his legacy is a lesson for us all! He lived a purposeful life.

39. Stuart Snow says:

William, Thank you for sharing with us Your Father and his life. I am thankful for men like him and what they mean to our country and our families.

40. Jon Gougar says:

Condolences and blessings to you and yours. My Grandfather was a Navy pilot who served in similar places and duties as your Father. I sometimes wonder if they ever crossed paths. In any case, I can identify and appreciate his service to family and country. Thank you for sharing about him.

41. Francesca Cozza says:

Dearest William,
    I am sorry for the loss of your father. It saddens me to know that he won’t be a phone call or plane ride away from you, but I know that his spirit is with all of you. You were lucky to be blessed with such a wonderful father. I lost my father in 2013 and not a day goes by that I don’t think of him… I understand. Sending you a hug and my love. My condolences to your family.

42. Tim Hansen says:

I am thankful to live in a country where great men have gone before, to ensure that future generations could live a life free of tyranny, and with the promise of freedom, without regard for repayment of their sacrifices, for we could never hope to repay them. Thank you for sharing your father with us, he truly was a man who lived a ‘strenuous’ life and was In The Arena. We are all the better for it. May he rest in peace.

43. John Francis says:

William, you are in our thoughts and prayers. I enjoyed reading your posts about your father.

44. Rob Audsley says:

Thanks for letting us know your dad through your posts. I am greatfull for his service.

45. Rob Sackmann says:

So sorry for your loss. I know he met the world to you. Our condolences to you and your family.
    The Sackmann family.

46. Robert D. Taylor says:

Very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Thank you for sharing the stories of his service and his character. I know your are very proud of him. Know that his character continues to shine through you. May your entire family find peace in this difficult time.
    RDTaylor

47. Anthony Liberatore says:

William and Grace, Their are many here on flycorvair who’s parents are of that age where their journeys is more winter than fall. You are not alone, we know what you have and are going through. Thank you for sharing your Dad’s life with us, he made a difference standing in the breach for Liberty. Our hearts are with you, our Condolences, The Liberatore Family.

48. Nancy K Brown says:

He was truly a lovely man. We were privileged to know him, even briefly. Nancy and Michael Brown

49. Jerry Pryce says:

Condolences on the loss of your father, William. As many others have stated, he will live on in the memories of family and those he touched during his full and meaningful life. He made a difference.

This article is a fitting tribute to a great man – thank you for sharing. You are a testament to his values, convictions and positive parenting. I have found it refreshing to read of his life experiences and how it has made you the man you are.

Jerry

50. Craig Owen says:

William and Grace, The “Old Guard” moves with precision as the clip of hooves and the clicking of heels swells the heart with pride. The men and women who endured day by day doing their jobs are at rest. Please take the time to visit the War Memorials. The Korean War Memorial needs to be seen at sunup showing the endurance of men fighting for their country. Some days are harder than others. Let the day bring your family happiness knowing your father served a grateful nation. 1969 – 1972 Craig Owen USAF 30650

51. Ed Lee says:

My condolences to you and your familiy on the passing of your father.

52. Bob Krause says:

Sincere condolences to you and your family. You are truly blessed to have had a wonderful, loving relationship with your father. – Bob Krause

53. Mike Foden says:

Sincere Condolences to you and your family William…

54. Greg Murphy says:

You and your family have my condolences, William. To read of your love and admiration for your father and to see the values he obviously instilled in you says a lot for who he was.

55. toomanyps says:

My condolences to you and your family.

Lou

56. Brandon says:

It is a wonderful thing to see a man’s life so honored by his son. This world was clearly enriched by his presence, is now lessened by his departure, and yet will remain strengthened by his legacy. My condolences to you and your family, and my sincere thanks for your father’s life of decency and sacrifice.

57. Dale Williams says:

Condolences to all the family. You have honored your father by making many of us aware of his courage and sacrifice for our nation … and you will continue to honor him as we see how wonderfully he has passed on to you, his son, a very high standard for honesty and integrity.

58. Richard Luna says:

Connie and I, like so many others, offer our condolences and prayers for your Mother, you, and your entire family. May His peace be with you as your family, and we, honor the memory of your great father. Non sibi sed patriae.

59. Steve says:

William

I have no words other than please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Grace, your mother and the rest of your family. We all recognize his as a life lived well, with dignity, honor and purpose. Thank you for sharing him with us. We are better for knowing him through the eyes of his loving son.